Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror, #1) - Karina Halle "But at this moment, standing at the threshold of a dead, evil place, it felt like I was at the gates of hell. Hell with an ocean view."Let me start off by saying when I first stared reading this book, I was a bit nervous. The paranormal/horror genres aren't usually my go to genres for books so I wasn't sure how I would feel about Darkhouse by Karina Halle. That being said, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! :)Perry Palomino is probably one of my new favorite heroines. There was just this honesty about her character and I felt like I could totally relate to her. "My mother calls me wishy-washy. I just think I'm delightfully impulsive."Perry is a woman who doesn't really know what she wants to do with her life.She has a degree in advertising, while working as a receptionist at an advertising firm, and isn't all that happy with how her life is turning out."I've always grown up feeling like I was special, like I was meant to do something really amazing with my life and make an impact on people."Perry finds that something special when she and her family go on a trip to her Uncle Al's beach house. During this trip, Perry decides to explore her Uncle's boarded up, creepy, and not to mention haunted, lighthouse. During this exploration, Perry meets a ghost hunter by the name of Dex Foray, who she has an instant spark with. Dex gives Perry a potential job opportunity that she just can't pass up because it could lead her to finding that something special she has always wanted for her life.“Somehow, by dealing with the dead, I had never felt so alive.” Dex is a very complicated individual.. he was funny, sarcastic, mysterious, charming, and very guarded at times. “Because sometimes I lie, Perry. We all lie, even you, but not everyone is brave enough to admit it.” I am definitely looking forward to finding out more about Dex as I continue reading the series! I also want to see what happens between Perry and Dex because I loved their chemistry together. Overall, I would give Darkhouse 4-4.5 stars :) I couldn't put this book down! For anyone who is a little nervous to read this because of the paranormal/horror genre listing, I would definitely say you should give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.